- We value the artist as much as the arts. That's why we aim to make sure artists receive the funding and support they need to do their work.
- We believe creativity is a skill anyone can learn to use - that's why we provide educational art experiences to help both young people and adults discover the value of creative skills.
- Art experiences and cultural opportunities enrich the economic, social, and environmental health of our communities. That's why we award grants to artists and art projects — to nurture local talent and encourage a proliferation of cultural events.
Ideas for Action
Engagement and Connectivity
- Premises; a pop up “shop”; “A place to do stuff” and base for Artists in the community – in Romsey as well as Andover?
- Poster sites in the Test Valley.
- Working with local papers, radio, TV – a Borough Art competition, writing competition-stories and poetry and performing arts focused on young people – in partnership with local schools, but also reaching out to those who are not in mainstream Education in partnership with the Princes Trust – a sponsored award.
- A “cultural audit” of the Borough – knowing what’s out there and who is doing what.
- Could we get some high profile international art collections to visit the Borough?
- A presence at the local market?
- Artists based in local communities – “bringing out the artist in everyone” – particularly in our Test Valley villages.
- Arts and business – getting closer to local firms, having them look at how both art and artists can enrich their environments, and offer personal development opportunities.
- Working closely with ALL schools to promote creativity in the classroom - Artist residencies in Schools – expanding “Artsmark”.
- A visual Arts space in Andover – using if necessary local business premises.
- An Arts Bus for the Borough – great opportunity for a high profile sponsor.
- Public Art – local artists being involved in commissions.